I haven’t had a WTF in a while, and I do try to keep the blog “all bugs, all the time.” But.
If one more person tells me we are in a “post-racial America” because a person of color is running for president, I’m gonna slap em. How can ya’ll not see that some ugly stuff is boiling to the top of the pot?
I’m also mourning the loss of Studs Terkel, a great American voice. Here’s an excerpt from his book Race: How Blacks and Whites think and feel about the American Obsession:
“‘I think you become an adult when you reach a point where you don’t need anyone underneath you. When you can look at yourself and say, “I’m okay the way I am.” One of the things that keeps my class of people from having any vision is race hatred. You’re so busy hating somebody else, you’re not going to realize how beautiful you are and how much you destroy all that’s good in the world.’”
He’s right. We need to Grow Up and learn to deal with difference. And embrace it, not fear it. What made Studs great was his willingness to listen to anyone, anywhere. He believed they had value, and their stories had meaning. For all of us.
Here’s a partial list of things I’ve seen. I’ll put it below the fold, since it’s depressingly long. Have you seen these? Have you been paying attention?
- If you click on only one link from this post, click on this one: A Real American. It just about made me weep.
- Racialious asks How post-racial are we?
- Big surprise: Limbaugh continues to be a bigoted ass.
- The Guardian covers the assassination plot and 14/88. Did you know that Bob Miles, past Grand Dragon of the KKK, lived in Michigan? It ain’t just a Southern thing.
- GOP email claims of “carloads of black supporters” from the inner city are coming to your neighborhood. To support Obama, who’s a Marxist. Uh huh.
- The chick that faked an attack by an Obama supporter is effectively deconstructed by Angry Black Woman
- What does “that one” really mean?
- Pam from House Blend has been doing a great job covering some of the hate–here’s a partial list from her site: (I swiped her list, since I think it’s important)
Latest McCain mob of hate – Denver, Colorado
Black bear cub shot, covered by Obama sign and left on Western Carolina University campus
Arizona: more from the Base: ‘Vote KKK’
TX: More McCain/Palin patriots – trashing of car with Obama sticker
McCain/Palin mob: 30 cars owners find tires slashed after NC Obama rally; voters heckled
MSNBC’s Pat Buchanan: Powell Endorsement Of Obama Due To Race
OH: Obama-labeled ghost hanged in effigy in man’s yard
The parade of racist images continues: Obama ribs ‘n chicken
California: Sacramento GOP web site calls for the torture of Barack Obama
Mike Signorile listens to The Hate Out There
Here we go again: another Palin groupie shouts ‘kill him’ at PA rally
Own it, bigot
Missouri: More of the McCain/Palin/GOP Base
Frank Rich on the fires stoked by McCain/Palin
The GOP ticket draws, and apparently embraces, the bigot eruption crowd
More fun in post-racial America
John McCain forced to denounce racist, homophobic member of Virginia leadership team
Kentucky, I know you can do better than this
FL: middle school teacher uses ‘nigger’ to describe Barack Obama
Palin praised racist writer who called for RFK’s assassination
Values at the Values Voter Summit – Obama as a Muslim Aunt Jemima
Westmoreland stands by ‘uppity’ remark about Obama
White supremacists: Obama’s boosting our movement
John McLaughlin: Obama fits the ‘Oreo’ stereotype
Georgia: publication features Obama in crosshairs on cover for article on white supremacist threat
Bigot eruption: GOP House member refers to Obama as ‘boy’
South Carolina: black reporter attacked by white family (on camera!)
I hope all of you in the US will vote Tuesday, and if you see someone behaving badly at the polls–call them on it! Take photos. Make sure everyone knows that it isn’t ok to be a bigot.