This is from a book–I modified it because ML doesn’t like onions, and also because I refuse to cook with more than 5 ingredients. Too much work! :)
I used Parmesan, since….we had it in the fridge. It was quite yummy, especially with the lemon. This made enough for lunch and dinner.
SEPHARDIC SPINACH PATTIES
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- One big bag of thawed frozen chopped spinach, squeezed dry
- About 1 cup matza meal or fine dried bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Lemon wedges for serving
1. add the spinach, matza meal, salt, pepper. Stir in the eggs. If the mixture is too loose, add a little more matza meal. Add 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Muenster, Swiss, Gouda, or Cheddar cheese; or 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
2. Shape the spinach mixture into patties. In a large skillet, heat a thin layer of oil over medium heat. In batches, fry the patties, turning, until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Serve warm, accompanied with lemon wedges.