Or, at least, I’m waiting for confirmation of my badges from The Order of the Science Scouts of Exemplary Repute and Above Average Physique.
Going through the list, I see that I have earned more badges than I ever did in the one dimly-remembered brownie troop year I had, and the significantly more embarrassing year as a regular girl scout in 3rd grade. (I also sucked at cookie sales, if anyone is interested.)
What badges can I claim?
- Talking science badge: Just ask my husband. He is forced to listen to it all the time.
- Nyah nyah nyah, I’ve got a TV gig badge: If you haven’t already been forced to watch the tape of the two times I was on CNN by now, I’m sure we can arrange it. I’m assuming interviews for print media count as well.
- I blog about science badge: well, it’s close to a quarter of science content. I think so, anyway!
- Inappropriate nocturnal use of lab equipment in the name of alternative science experimentation/communication Badge : I think it’s wisest not to elaborate on this one.
- Destroyer of Quackery Badge: hey, I actually taught a course called science and pseudoscience! And published papers debunking insect ultrasound repellers!
- I may look like a scientist but I’m also a Ninja: Don’t make me get out the Arnis sticks to prove it. Especially if you’re my brother-in-law and you live in Jersey.
- The Sexing up Science Badge: My dissertation and last 4 publications were on pheromones. Nuff’ said.
- Will gladly Kick Sexual Harasser’s Ass Badge: Just ask me about my last job. Seriously. Ask.
- Worship me–I’ve published in Nature or Science Badge. I’d give you the citation, but don’t want to blow my cover of plausable deniability that bug_girl isn’t my pseudonym.
- Inordinately fond of Invertebrates Badge: True. But–Why a squid?? Why not an insect on the badge?? Insects are way more important than squid. PZ is at it again, I bet. Hmph.
- Knows how to collect sperm from more than two (non-human) species: I’m just not going to talk about this one. Oh, the horror….
- Experienced with electrical shock Badge: Electroantennograms. One of the coolest science things I’ve ever done.
There is also a page where you can suggest new badges of merit. I am both curious and afraid to learn more about the suggestion of “bat fluffer.” :D
I also like the suggestion for the “Big Stink” badge: “ever emptied out a lab or building with the odors of an experiment.” However, I’m not sure I’d qualify, since I just got told to stop the experiment, because it made the building smell too disgusting (blow fly oviposition choice expt, using rotting chicken livers).
I’d like to hear more about the pseudo science course — is there a syllabus on line?
Any good tales from the chalkboard?
Not any more, unfortunately–when I left that college for a new job, the deleted everything I had online. I can try to find a copy of the syllabus and send it to you, if you’d like.
The best part was getting a grant to bring James Randi one year.
That was The Coolest Ever. The students loved him.
Not worth digging for a print copy. I just wondered what you covered, what great examples you used.
I found it! let me know if you want a copy (word format)
Sure! Especially if all you need is e-mail (which you have, I trust, from WordPress).
If not, it’s in the “about” section of my blog, at http://www.timpanogos.wordpress.com
Comments are closed.