Or, at least, I’m waiting for confirmation of my badges from The Order of the Science Scouts of Exemplary Repute and Above Average Physique.
Going through the list, I see that I have earned more badges than I ever did in the one dimly-remembered brownie troop year I had, and the significantly more embarrassing year as a regular girl scout in 3rd grade. (I also sucked at cookie sales, if anyone is interested.)
What badges can I claim?
- Talking science badge: Just ask my husband. He is forced to listen to it all the time.
- Nyah nyah nyah, I’ve got a TV gig badge: If you haven’t already been forced to watch the tape of the two times I was on CNN by now, I’m sure we can arrange it. I’m assuming interviews for print media count as well.
- I blog about science badge: well, it’s close to a quarter of science content. I think so, anyway!
- Inappropriate nocturnal use of lab equipment in the name of alternative science experimentation/communication Badge : I think it’s wisest not to elaborate on this one.
- Destroyer of Quackery Badge: hey, I actually taught a course called science and pseudoscience! And published papers debunking insect ultrasound repellers!
- I may look like a scientist but I’m also a Ninja: Don’t make me get out the Arnis sticks to prove it. Especially if you’re my brother-in-law and you live in Jersey.
- The Sexing up Science Badge: My dissertation and last 4 publications were on pheromones. Nuff’ said.
- Will gladly Kick Sexual Harasser’s Ass Badge: Just ask me about my last job. Seriously. Ask.
- Worship me–I’ve published in Nature or Science Badge. I’d give you the citation, but don’t want to blow my cover of plausable deniability that bug_girl isn’t my pseudonym.
- Inordinately fond of Invertebrates Badge: True. But–Why a squid?? Why not an insect on the badge?? Insects are way more important than squid. PZ is at it again, I bet. Hmph.
- Knows how to collect sperm from more than two (non-human) species: I’m just not going to talk about this one. Oh, the horror….
- Experienced with electrical shock Badge: Electroantennograms. One of the coolest science things I’ve ever done.
There is also a page where you can suggest new badges of merit. I am both curious and afraid to learn more about the suggestion of “bat fluffer.” :D
I also like the suggestion for the “Big Stink” badge: “ever emptied out a lab or building with the odors of an experiment.” However, I’m not sure I’d qualify, since I just got told to stop the experiment, because it made the building smell too disgusting (blow fly oviposition choice expt, using rotting chicken livers).